Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.5a is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

    • CommentAuthorBogstandard
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011 edited
    In the near future I will be starting to build this 1 to 1 scale engine from castings I obtained from Bruce Engineering in the UK.

    Even though it is a 1 to 1 engine, it isn't overly large (two 9" diameter flywheels).

    Has anyone on here had any experience of building this engine?

    I am just starting to get back into making from castings after a long layoff, more recently I have been making everything from bar stock, and was hoping for any pointers to problems that other people have encountered.

    My machines wont allow that size build.

    Good luck!!

    About 3 years ago, after an accident that forced me to stop work, I rebuilt my shop to take on contract work at home, with a 14x36 lathe and an 836 mill (like a 2/3rds size bridgy) then almost as soon as it was finished, my wifes' and my health failed dramatically.

    That left me with almost everything brand new in my shop, but only a couple of hours a day at most to work in it. I have been modifying my machines ever since so that I can use them sitting down, power feeds and DRo's on every axis. I still have to modify my small surface grinder.

    I used to work up to 16 hours a day with no problems, so a big comedown. But no matter how large or complicated the project, I will give it a real dose of having a go, just to keep my mind, if not my body active. It might take a bit longer, but hey, complicated machining is only a series of individual processes joined together.

    I was just hoping that if someone had built one of these engines, they could give me a few pointers how the castings were held while being machined, then that would give me some idea of how I could do it.

    My main problem is the cylinder boring. I am looking to have to do it on my mill, using the right angled head and boring it horizontally, as if I tried to do it on the lathe between centres, it would most probably take me a couple of very painful days to set it up, whereas on the mill, I can do it all sitting down and in relative comfort.

    If not, I will just have to 'wing' it.

    Just to keep a little up to date, the final parts are now coming together.

    I won't start a project until I have everything required to complete it in house.

    I have the minimag made and proved, so that takes care of the electrical side of things, but also on this build I wanted to get away from the 'tin can' radiator system, so I asked a good friend if he would make me a custom water jacket to fit this large engine.

    He has done a wonderful job with it after a few failures, 9" high and made of bronze.


    Those castings are very nice. I'm about to make some castings for the first time in 30 years. Hope they look as good as yours!