Return To Multi Cylinder Gallery
Brian Konsela Manitowoc, WI firstname.lastname@example.org
4 Cylinder Horizontally Opposed Engine, ??bore X .?? stroke 2/16/2004
the block with 2 of the cylinders stuck in the holes.
This is with 3 of the 4 cylinders with the mounting holes drilled in them. I have the drilling fixture bolted to the block. Next step is to locktite the bolts to the block and then grind the heads off of the bolts and remove the fixture so I can do the same for the remaining 3 holes.
Here's the block with 3 of the 4 cylinders in it and the drilling fixture in the 4th hole. So far things are working well with this engine.
Here's another scan of the 4 cylinder with 3 of the cylinders in place and the drilling fixture on it also. Things are working out well on this engine.
Here's the crankshaft for the 4 cylinder engine. 3/28/2004
I finally got the last cylinder done and now I have the endplates half way done. The bearings are from roller skates (8MM) and they fit perfectly. I now have to get the bolt circle done so they can be bolted in place.
Here's the lobes of the cam for the 4 cylinder engine. It's not like the prints call for. The lobe is .125 lift and the duration is 190. I still have to finish polishing them and get them soldered on the shaft yet and I hope to get that done soon.
Here's the engine with the fan wheel almost completed. It was a lot easier than I thought it might be to do. It might look oval in the picture because it is laying at a bit of an angle on the scanner screen.
Here's the cam box in pieces. I had to make the screws into button head screws
to accommodate the bearings for the cam.
Here's an end view of the engine.
The crank is in place along with the cam. The cam isn't completed yet.
10/1/2004 I got the cam gear cover done. Well actually I made 2 of them.
First I turned the OD, then I went to the mill and made a slot in the middle to
get the correct width so the cover dimensions would be there. Then I went back
to the lathe and finished them and parted them off. I also have the push rod
10/26/2004, the cam box mostly complete, I have a few minor things to do on it
yet like polishing.
I finally got the heads soldered for the 4 cylinder. I had them soldered once
before only to find out that I had a leak in them. I took them apart and cleaned
them up and resoldered them, only this time without a leak. Now I have to finish
Here's the rear view of the engine. Things are moving along quite nicely with this. I hope to have it at NAMES 2005.
Here's an upper left view of the engine. The heads are bolted on to see how they fit. The fan wheel is made the opposite of what the plans call for but that isn't a problem. It will just run in the reverse direction. I just have to remember to make the cam in reverse also.
Here's the head with 4 of the head bolts. The bolts are 3-48 slotted screws. I turned the diameter of the heads down about .020 because there was quite a bit of run out on them. The heads are 2 pieces silver soldered together. I had to do the intake passage before soldering them together. After the second try at soldering them, they are fine. I still have some machining on them to do yet.
1/7/2005 Here's the latest of the 4 cylinder with the rockers mostly done. I still have some finishing work to do on them yet. The plans call out to make them out of 2 pieces and solder them together but I made them out of 1 piece. I also put some brass bushings in them to pivot on.
a picture of the intermediate gear for the engine. The bearing and part
of the shaft are from a computer.
Sitting next to it is a penny for comparison, and sitting next to that is the Huff"N"Puff engine that I made about 3 years ago. It is very smooth running and when the air is wide open at work it runs about 3000 RPM
3/15/2005 Here's the crank and the camshafts with the gears in place.
5/2/2005 I finally got the rods and pistons made. I have to cut the ring grooves yet along with the valve relief.
Here's the exhaust for the 4 cylinder about half way done. I have one more cut per piece and I can silver solder them together. 7/20/2005
Here's the latest parts for the 4 cylinder. The part with the knurled knob is the points bracket. The other flat brass piece is the, combination, front base and the oil dipstick tube. On the back of the cam box is the distributor base. The cam isn't timed yet, meaning that the lobes aren't in the proper location yet. 9/5/2005
Here's the latest of the 4 cylinder. The heads haven't changed but I have the valve bodies and the valves mostly done. The valve bodies have to have the seats ground. The valves themselves have to be hardened and ground. You can't see in the picture but I have the grooves cut for the spring clips. After grinding the OD's of the valves I have to grind the seat and cut them to length. Then I can lap them. I have 2 extra valves just in case. 9/27/2005
Here's the valves and valve bodys. The only thing left to do is to lap them. The penny is just for size comparison. The valve diameter is 1/4" and the stem diameter is .0922. The valves were heat treated and OD ground to keep concentricity. The valves then had the seats ground and then they were cut to length. 10/3/2005
I finally got the fins cut in the heads. I don't think that I am going to cut any more on them. I think they look ok. I have a little bit of polishing to go on them yet. Once they are polished I can install the valves. 10/17/2005
Here's the roller rockers for the 4 cylinder. The rollers are heat treated so they wear better. 11/2/2005
Here's the carburetor bodies. 12/13/2005
Here's the pistons and rings ready to go in the engine. 2/11/2006
9/14/2006 Here's the exhaust bolted on but not polished up yet.
Copyright 2006, Florida Association of Model Engineers and engine builder as noted above, All rights reserved.